Friday, March 18, 2016

Canon Pixma G1000 Review Supplement: Stress test results

And the results are in!

Water test

After 6 hours of being submerged in water, we take a look at the results:



At first glance, it seems that nothing much changed (except for that other one, which, I will point out later).

But the real story here is in the water...
Water of the G1000 print - Genuine Canon inks

Water of the iP7270 print - 3rd party inks
The discoloration is not apparent because there are no smudges on the print-outs. But as you can see, ink seems to have mixed with water where the 3rd party ink print out is submerged.

But wait! Just as I was writing that the Genuine ink is the winner of this test, I decided to take another look at the prints... and found this:



To my surprise, the genuine ink print out has a very visible discoloration on the edges! I was not expecting that.

And then this:
The 3rd party ink print out did not have discoloration on it edges. I was not expecting that, either.
Well... ok.

Then here's another sucker punch for Canon.

What is up with the Selphy print out!? This one, I was really caught off guard. The paper peels, the print out film peels. A clear WTF moment for me, excuse me.

The biggest loser is, unexpectedly, the Selphy CP710 print out. The colors did not fade, but it's just ruined - crumpled and peeled. Ouch.

I'd say the genuine ink and the 3rd party ink is a draw since both showed flaws. But sadly, the genuine ink discoloration on the edges is just too much as it is very noticeable. 
So here, 3rd party ink print out wins.

UPDATE: The print outs dried. Genuine ink print out's discolorated edges are gone...but it's now discolorated all-over. It's mostly in yellow. :-(


Sunlight Exposure test

4 hours exposed under direct sunlight

G1000 print out with genuine Canon inks
iP7270 print out with 3rd party inks
Here, with the G1000 print out (genuine inks), the discoloration is very minimal. In fact, if you are not looking for it, you won't see it. (See markings in the picture below)

G1000 print out

As compared to the iP7270 print out (3rd party inks), the discoloration is very visible. (See markings the the picture below). You will notice 3 shades with this one; it was unintended. I was not able to put back the paper weight in its original position when I first inspected it.

iP7270 print out

Here in the sunlight test, G1000 with genuine ink wins.

2 comments:

  1. Pre, This is interesting.

    Question, sa Experience mo
    Using 3rd party ink really damages the print head?

    Or mas tatagal ang Life pag Original ink gamit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sorry for this late reply. I have used 3rd party inks since Canon 4600 series. So far, 3rd party inks I used have no effect on the printer head, whatsoever. I could say that when using 3rd party inks, what is affected is more of the print result and not any part of the printer.

      Delete