Thursday, March 31, 2016

Choosing between Multi-Function and Single Function Printers

For this entry, I will just pour out purely my opinion on this matter. I will not point to external sources or reviews and comparisons from other people. This is purely my opinion and based on personal experience.

The first encounter I had with a multi-function printer is when we opened our internet shop back in 2011. Yes, multi-function printers has been around for a long time but I have not actually operated and owned one until that time. It was an HP printer, got it for free, bundled with a SmartBRO subscription. We started the business with just 4 computers for rental and 1 server using borrowed money.

The HP all-in-one printer was good, it served its purpose as we were able to offer scan, print and copy. It was all good until the inks ran out.


Personal Choice

Normally, when people ask me whether to buy a 3-in-1 printer or just plain printer, I'd say, in a heartbeat, "Just get a single function printer." Because that is my preference. The moment my 3-in1 HP printer ran out of ink, I saw the "trap" of a multi-function printer. Inks ran out, I couldn't print. The HP printer I have was not CISS-converted and at that time, there was no compatible CISS-tank for it. So I had no choice but to buy their very expensive ink cartridge. If it was for personal use or for print jobs that pay well, original inks are no problem. But we're using this for simple documents for internet cafe customers. We cannot charge them premium fees, if we did, we won't be able to keep up with competition. Good thing we have a CISS-converted Epson printer that handled the print jobs. If not, we could have lost the printing income and left a bad taste from customers not being able to do a simple print job.


Not just ink costs

But you see, it's beyond inks. Multi-function or 3-in-1 printers are usually, Scan, Print, & Copy.
Scan, Print, & Copy functions all inside 1 machine. If you are using all the functions and all are vital to your operations, then if 1 function breaks, your operations stops. If you are not using all the functions, then why'd you buy a multi-function in the first place?

Suppose if the scanner function breaks, you send it to a service center and they tell you to come back for it in 3 days (or sometimes longer depending on the damage and the parts for replacement). Then there goes your printer and copier, too. If the printer breaks, there goes your scanner.

You get the drift? So if you are going to ask me what to get instead, just buy a printer and a scanner separately. You can still do Scan, Print, & Copy with these 2 devices anyway. Don't worry about the Copy function, there is a way to setup your scanner to output the scanned image directly to your printer of choice so as not to bloat your hard drive with unnecessary images.


Recommendation

I admit I have limited knowledge with regards to multi-functions' durability. Because, as it stands, for me, it's all about how tough this multi-function printer would be. It may have changed for the better over the years. What I am trying to point out is the "trap" you may encounter if you depend on your 3-in-1 machine.

What I am sure is that single function printers and scanners have proven durabilities. In my opinion, it will last longer because it is set out to do just 1 job. Printers print. Scanners scan. 1 logic board, less parts, less mechanisms. Simple and efficient. "Less is more."

So if you are a heavy user or running a business that does Scan, Print, & Copy, I strongly advise you buy these machines separately. Treat the extra money you shell out as a convenience fee from the hassle of losing 3 functions all because 1 function broke down. 3-in-1 sa gamit, 3-in-1 din sa sira. It's a trap!

But if you are a casual user or perhaps you intend to use the multi-function machine on special purposes, then go ahead with the multi-function printer. And, as I've mentioned, the quality of these machines may have improved (Please inform me. Use the comments below.) and you have a trusted, tested and proven brand, by all means, go for it.

I hope this post made sense and helped you in your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment